How to plan a safe Christmas
for your pets
Don't give your dog turkey bones
(or any bones) in case they splinter and puncture the intestines. Keep
garbage out of dogs' reach. A dog will eat tinfoil or plastic that has
been wrapped round meat.
Christmas tree decorations are
dangerous if swallowed. Puppies taste EVERYTHING! Keep the following
away from dogs: fairy lights, candles, electric cables, glass baubles,
tinsel, ribbon, pine needles, plastic kids' toys, the water at the base of the
Christmas tree. Tinsel can block and puncture a dog's intestine.
Chocolate, even cooking
chocolate, is toxic to dogs. If the dog smells sweets, it may swallow
wrapper and all!
Sugar-free gum that contains
Xylitol is poisonous.
Onions, grapes, and macadamia
nuts are poison to dogs, so don't give the dog left-overs. Plan the meal
so there are NO left-overs! Or give the excess to the poor. Freeze it
till you can get it to the church soup kitchen.
Christmas cake that has raisins,
alcohol and sugar is poisonous to dogs.
Alcohol & drugs can make a dog sick,
weak and can cause a coma. Ask guests to keep drinks up off the floor.
Make sure pets have a quiet
place to retreat to when the house is full of strangers.
Hang-over medicine that contains
Tylenol is poison to dogs. Keep all human medicine locked away! Pick up
any pill dropped on the floor.
Poinsettias, holly and mistletoe
berries may make your dog sick. Many household plants are toxic.
Tie the Christmas tree to a
window frame in case a cat climbs up or a dog knocks it over.
This year, let's take time off from
the stress of Christmas and go to a joyful church service! Look
in the newspaper to find out the times of the special services on